I became an avid crossfitter after my first son was born. I thought at home workouts were silly, a waste and didn’t work. Growing up, The Richard Simmons Collection collected dust by our VHS player so of course I grew up thinking at home workouts were a bust (I later realized you have to use them to work ha!) I believed if you wanted to get fit with muscle, you had to go to gym.
After my second son was born, going to the gym became more and more non existent because I was tired and spending more time finding someone to watch the boys than I was at the gym!
It was a tough transition for me because I knew that taking care of my health was important but I was finding more excuses why I couldn’t take care of myself because of the time and energy I was spending just to find a moment to go to the gym.
I had an opportunity come to me during this time trying to figure out my gym dillemma to work out at home… it was a silent blessing that I would realize later.
I decided to give it a try. I look back when I first started how I thought people where making fun of me working out at home. I felt so insecure about it. Three years later, I may have had the nay sayers but now they are all for it because I am in the best shape of my life.
I have learned through my journey of becoming an avid gym goer to an avid working out at home mom that I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a lifestyle I truly am blessed to have.
These are my top reasons why working out at home is better than going to the gym:
- Save time and money. When I was going to the gym, I spent two to two and half hours going to CrossFit class. From dropping kids off, going to an hour gym class, picking up kids, and sitting In traffic going home. I wouldn’t get home until 6:00 just for a 4:00 gym class. Working out at home made me realize how much my time was valuable and 2 hours to go to the gym wasn’t effective.
- Gym schedules. I found over the years that if I’m going to stay accountable, I needed the help and group classes seemed to be the perfect fit. Following the gym schedules though was always a pain since at the time I was working and finding a time that worked for me was always a struggle. Working out at home I am able workout on my schedule. I don’t have to worry about working around other people schedules.
- Germs. I remember having to take a few extra minutes after CrossFit class to wipe down all the equipment I used. I secretly rolled my eyes about it ha! At home germs are in my own terms and I don’t have to worry about smelling others sweat either!
- Recovery fuel just a few steps away. After an intense workout I always had to stop at the gas station right next door to grab a protein bar because I was so hungry and I always forgot to pack an after gym snack in the morning as I was juggling myself and two kids out the door for work (more time. More money!). Now after a workout, I can grab a snack in my own kitchen.
- Make all the weird faces or grunts you want. I always felt weird at the gym. That I was making weird faces or noises and other people could hear me. The beauty of being at home, you don’t have to worry about the the noises you make.
- Leading by example. My kids see me working out everyday. I am teaching them healthy habits. Working out at home allows your family to see the progress you make everyday as you lead them to healthier lifestyles.
- The Environment is your own. Play the music you love. No walking into a the over abundance of sweat smell from other gym goers… the one thing I don’t miss. The use of your own equipment and not having to share it get irritated if someone take your favorite wall ball.
- Focus on your own workout and not having to feel like you need to compare yourself to others progress. After each crossfit class we had to write our daily numbers on the board wether it be reps or times. Some days I wouldn’t write them down because I felt the insecurity that my numbers weren’t good enough. Even though that was my problem, its been such a relief to measure my progress against me and now one else. Less pressure. I can modify if needed without looking like a whimp to others or I don’t have to do box jumps and look like an idiot when I fall.
- You can do workouts you enjoy and that you can have fun with. I remember showing up to the gym rolling my eyes because I couldn’t stand the workout we were doing. Because I have a library of incredible programs at home that fit my lifestyle, I get to choose the workouts I enjoy to do.
Working out at home may not be your thing and thats okay! I just have found it as a great option for me and it works around my crazy mom life schedule. It’s given me more time and less stress.
If you would like to know more of the tools I use, hit me up here and lets chat!